Denise's Baked Chicken Wings Dry Rub Recipe
For uber crispy, but tender wings, bake at 375° F / 190° C for the first 45 minutes, then 392° F / 200° C for the last 15 minutes.
- ½ tbs ancho chile pepper powder
- ½ tbs smoked paprika (if using hot smoked paprika you can half the cayenne pepper)
- ½ tbs onion powder
- ½ tbs fine salt
- 1 tbs light brown sugar, packed
- ¾ tsp chili powder
- ¾ tsp paprika
- ¾ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper less if you're worried about the heat level
- ½ tsp dried mustard powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp dried ground thyme if using dried thyme leaves crush them as fine as you can
- 4 lbs chicken wings, thawed completely if using a frozen bag
- 2 tbs olive oil, vegetable, or canola oil
Creamy Gorgonzola Sauce
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 3-6 tbs buttermilk or heavy cream if you don’t have buttermilk
- ¼ cup sour cream or creme fraiche
- 2 to 3 oz crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- ½ tbs lemon juice
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
Make Rub and Prepare Chicken Wings
Preheat oven to 392 F / 200 C degrees. Line a large baking sheet with two sheets of aluminum foil (or 1 heavy-duty sheet). Top that with an oven-safe cooling rack, spray with a non-stick cooking spray, and set aside.
Combine all dry rub ingredients in a small mixing bowl, set aside. In a large mixing bowl, add chicken wings and vegetable oil. Use a rubber spatula to toss gently to coat.
Sprinkle in about half to ⅔ of the dry rub mixture and use your hands to massage it into all of the chicken wings, coating evenly. Feel free to use all the dry rub, but for a coating like in the photos, ½ to ⅔ of the mixture does just fine.
Add chicken wings to the prepared baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes.
Make the Gorgonzola Sauce
To your food processor or blender, add mayo, buttermilk, sour cream, 1.5 oz of the gorgonzola cheese, garlic, lemon juice, pepper, and salt. Process until smooth.
Transfer to serving bowl and stir in remaining gorgonzola cheese. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.