Bistrot salad recipe – another YUM wine-friendly salad from Denise!
For this recipe, we follow Denise’s wine-friendly salad formula for a fantastic bistrot salad recipe that pairs oh-so-well with a single vineyard Barbaresco!
Get your protein and fat two ways: bacon and a soft-boiled egg! Of course, the bacon is optional. And, the parmesan cheese adds another bit of protein and fat.
And, get started with The Castello’s House Vinaigrette recipe for your base.
Read on for the salad wine pairing notes after the recipe.
- 2 handfuls various hearty lettuces per person, or more
- 1 cup approx of green veg such as green beans, broccoli, zucchini cooked and cooled (optional)
- 2 or 3 rashers thick-sliced bacon per person, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 egg per person
- ½ cup approx homemade garlic croutons per person
Red Wine Shallot Vinaigrette
- ⅓ cup very good quality Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 large shallot
- 1 small garlic clove
- 2 TBS dijon-style mustard
- 1 TBS sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- Few grinds of ground black pepper
- 1⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
Make the vinaigrette
- Place all the ingredients, except the olive oil, in a blender. Leave the shallot whole, just drop it in with everything else. Blend on med-low until all the ingredients are mixed well and the sugar and salt are dissolved. With the blender continuing to run, drizzle in the olive oil in a steady slow stream. Halfway through adding the oil, increase the speed of the blender, and finish streaming in the oil. It should be nicely emulsified and fairly thick. Taste with a lettuce leaf to makes sure the vinaigrette is balanced. It should have a little spark but not too much.
Make the croutons
- Cut or tear a piece per person of hearty country-style bread, ideally a whole grain artisan type. Put the bread pieces in a bowl and drizzle over extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle with a little salt, pepper, and ½ tsp of garlic powder. In a small frying pan on medium heat, toast the bread pieces, turning and stirring often until the bread crisps. Alternatively, bake the bread pieces in a 350° F / 175° C oven for about 20 to 25 minutes. Check often, stirring to toast evenly.
- Cut the bacon in 1-inch pieces and cook in a medium frying pan until crispy.
- Bring a small pan of water to the boil. Prepare an ice bath of 50/50 ice and cold water, set aside. Prick the eggs on the pointed end with a pin. When the water comes to a boil, carefully lower the eggs into the water. Set a timer for 6 minutes. Keep water at a low delicate boil so the eggs don’t roll around violently and crack. When done, put the eggs in the ice bath for 5 minutes. Then remove and peel carefully.
- With a vegetable peeler, make parmesan swirls, cutting either along the long or short side of the cheese, as you prefer.
Plate the salad
- Put the greens and vegetables in a large bowl and toss with about 2 spoonfuls of vinaigrette per person. Pile the dressed greens on large dinner plates. Place a 6-minute egg in the middle of the greens. Divide the bacon, croutons, and parmesan shards evenly between the salads, sprinkling each element around on the greens. Finish with the parmesan shards. Pour a lovely and hearty glass of red wine and enjoy!
Bistrot salad recipe wine pairing
Ada Nada Barbaresco DOCG Rombone 2011
Denise selected a top Barbaresco cru with some age to showcase ingredients to use to pair wine with salad. Don’t be scared to try those heftier wines – Brunello, Bordeaux, even Barolo! Follow Denise’s foolproof plan and you’ll have a salad to pair with your wine in a snap.
How to make a wine-friendly Salad
The key to pairing wine with salad is protein and fat; it’s all about balancing the acidity in the dressing. Buon appetito!
Keep in touch!
Denise and I had so much fun with the salads, we decided we are going to make this an ongoing feature, so expect one or two new salad recipes (and, wine pairing ideas!) a month, so if you like these, check back in! If you have some salad requests, drop us a note! We always like to get creative – with salad and wine!
And, subscribe to Girl’s Gotta Drink for monthly updates and special offers (subscribe in the upper right sidebar.)