Last week we had the top three pizzerias in Piedmont, so it only seems right to follow up with the three best places for gelato in Alba.
Sweet tooth ready? Let’s find the gelato man.
Over the summer Il Ragazzo crowned himself the solo member of The Alba Gelato Quality Assurance Team. Despite my best efforts, resistance was futile. After pouring over flavors at locations all around Alba we finally selected our top three. Personally, I rarely deviate from number one anymore.
Without further ado I present the official list, starting with number three:
3. Geletaria Cristallo
Address: Via Maestra 29, about 50 yards from Piazza Savona.
- Why do we love it? It’s literally right below our apartment. Isn’t that enough? The shop rotates through tons of flavors regularly. I think they simply have the best coffee gelato in town.
- Flavor Picks: Coffee, Stracciatella, Nocciola – sometimes they even have Nutella!
2. Il Gelaterie
Address: Find it across from Alba’s train station. Corso Fratelli Bandiera 13/a, Alba (CN).
- Why do we love it? Recommended to us by our neighbors – they must be in their 80s, so they know gelato in Alba. Lots of flavor choices and creamy, rich tastes.
- Flavor Picks: Fondente, Stracciatella, Nocciola.
Address: Find it across from Piazza Savona. Corso Italia 2, Alba (CN).
Romana has a western feel with an open, airy shop, inside seating, and *rarity alert* the gelato isn’t on display. Il Ragazzo still struggles with that and the never-changing flavors – but he gets over it real quick, post-first lick.
- Why do we love it? The freshness of ingredients and the uber creaminess.
- Flavor Picks: Yogurt Frutti di Boschi, Cremino al Biscotti di Meliga Piemontese, and Stracciatella.
There you have it! The best gelato in Alba, Italy – by a small tasting committee. Got other places for us to QA in town? Let us know. We’re happy to serve.
Ciao Ciao! V-dawg OUT.
Song Pick! Ice Cream, Sarah McLachlan
More Monday Munchies: